Hi everyone! I am so proud of my daughter and her cousin! Her cousin baked her a rainbow cake for her birthday that was gorgeous!
My daughter thought it was so cool that she went on line and learned how to make one herself for her brother’s birthday. Everyone loved it!
It is a beautiful thing that a kid can inspire another kid :-).
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
different colored food coloring liquid or gel, preferably without chemicals (sold at Whole Foods but VERY expensive!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
2. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
3. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
4..Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth.
5. Separate the batter into as many different bowls as the colors you want.
6. In each bowl, add a few drops of food coloring and stir.
7. When you are ready to bake, add first layer of colored batter to a parchment paper lined cake pan. Then add all the other colors on top of each layer. If you like a swirly effect, swirl is just a bit with a toothpick or knife. If you swirl too much it will just be a grey blob!
8. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch. Frost as desired!
What a fun cake! Love the pic of Ayla and Lincoln.