Hi everyone. Whoever said Passover desserts are horrible? My sister, Zoe, turned me on to this recipe years ago and it has been a keeper ever since. It’s even good with Whole Wheat matzohs or Spelt matzoh. I use up all my leftover Passover matzohs for this recipe for months after. It’s actually better with matzoh than with graham crackers, in my opinion.
Matzoh or Graham Cracker Crunch:
2 sticks unsalted butter (or margarine if you keep Kosher)
one cup packed light or dark brown sugar
Enough matzoh (maybe 5) or graham crackers to cover a baking sheet with 1/2″-1″ sides so there’s no leakage
1-2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Melt butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Stir until mixture is boiling and thick. You MUST watch it so it does not burn. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spread matzoh on baking sheet to cover completely-do not overlap. Break matzohs into pieces if necessary. Cover matzohs with butter mixture and spread evenly with a spatula.
Place sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes or until butter mixture is bubbling and turning brown. Keep watching to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Remove from oven, evenly scatter chips and place in oven for one minute to melt the chips. Remove from oven, spread melted chocolate completely over matzohs and let cool. When cool, place baking sheet in the fridge until the chocolate is hard.
Note: You can add craisins, raisins, candied orange peel or lemon peel, or anything else you like, even crushed potato chips.
Here is a recipe that is a combination of the above and Hello Dollies (aka Magic cookie bars). Heavenly! Thanks, Maggie…
* 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
* 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 4-6 matzohs or about 12 graham crackers
* 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine if you keep Kosher)
* 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread 1 cup each chopped pecans and shredded sweetened coconut on baking sheet; bake until golden, 5 minutes. Cool; toss with 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips.
2. Line a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Break matzohs or graham crackers so they fit in pan in a single layer.
3. In saucepan, whisk 12 tablespoons unsalted butter and 1/2 cup light-brown sugar over medium until smooth; spread over crackers.
4. Bake until bubbly, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with nut topping; press gently. Cool; break into pieces. Enjoy!